There are many ways to prepare and serve your oat rather than the common, age-old “throw-in-some-hot-water” method.You can incorporate oats into your meals by doing the following:
- Have a bowl of oatmeal, prepared with milk and serve with nuts or fresh fruits as breakfast
- Add whole oats in your cookies, muffins and even pancakes
- Top up your dietary fiber in your breakfast cereals by sprinkling oats in it
- Sprinkle oat brans on cereals or salads
- Use rolled oats as topping or as one of the layers of your parfait
And here is a sample recipe to get you started:
Quick Apple Oatmeal Breakfast
1/2 apple (Granny Smith, peel on, chopped)
1/4 Yellow Chinese Pear (Lai)
3 dsp Quickcook oatmeal
1 1/2 cup low fat milk
1 tsp brown sugar
a few toasted almonds
Heat the apple, Lai milk and oatmeal in a bowl in the microwave on high for about 2 minutes until apple chunks are soft and oatmeal is cooked. Stir well and add the brown sugar, and almonds.
The preparation time will depend on the type of oats that you choose to use. The ingredients depend on whatever sounds tasty to you (moderation is key). The sky is the limit. Get creative and start experimenting with the different kinds of foods. We hope that this will inspire you to start your day with a bowl of oats and reap its healthy-heart benefits.